Spring season is round the corner. Many of us are waiting for this season and the majority of people are making preparations to look and feel their best. That means cleaning the house, making appointments at the salon and a lot more. Your kid’s smile should be no different. Your kid’s smile also deserves some spring cleaning. Encouraging healthy dental care routine should be a parenting priority. Untreated tooth decay brings problems for a child’s speech, ability to eat, self-esteem, sleep, academic performance and development of permanent teeth. Oral problems can cause trouble throughout the body.
Let’s have a glance at a few tips to help you maintain good oral hygiene and a sparkling smile for your kids this spring. These tips will make a big difference in improving your kid’s oral health.
- Athletic kids usually suffer from unusual tooth wear and should consult their dentist on a regular basis.
- Custom fitted mouth guards are perfect for kids participating in contact and non-contact sports.
- Make sure that you notice any changes in your kid’s oral health since your last visit to the dentist. These changes include:
- Appearance of sores in the mouth
- Clenching or grinding of teeth
- Changes in the color of teeth
- Changes in the gums
- Be sure to indulge in maintaining your kid’s brushing and flossing routines.
- Make sure that you choose toothpaste made for babies and toddlers. Use just a little toothpaste on the brush for your babies. Fluoride toothpaste is a safe way to prevent tooth decay.
- It is advisable to invest in fluoride-infused dental products and you won’t regret it.
- Try to avoid sugary snacks i.e. candy, sweet drinks, fruit juices etc as possible this spring. Fresh fruits, milk, nuts, popcorn, cheese, raw veggies and wheat crackers are some of the best snacks for your kids. It is advisable to give balanced diet to your kids. Taking a healthy diet contributes to dental health as well as overall well-being.
- Be a good role model for your children. It is important to take care of your own teeth first as your kids will surely notice you. It will long way towards maintaining a sparkling smile for your kids.
- If you’re planning for a spring break, be mindful of the dental tools to have for your kids. With a little care and prevention, you can avoid bigger problems.
- Physical activities during spring may increase the risk of dental emergencies in your kids. To help keep your kid’s teeth healthy, being prepared is the key. It is advisable to head to a dentist as soon as possible in case of a dental emergency.
If you think your kid needs a little spring cleaning, schedule your appointment with a professional dentist. At Sterling Family Dentistry, we have a team of trusted dental professionals supporting dental health for a lifetime. Let us bring a fresh and healthy smile on your little one’s face this spring with our award-winning dental practices.