Importance of preventive dental care as children go back to school
August is sure a busy month. What with summer activities winding down and getting the kids ready to go back to school, that to-do list just never seems to end.
- New school shoes? Check.
- Haircuts? Check.
- Notebooks, pens and paper? Check.
- Dental checkup? Yes, that too should be scheduled before your kids go back to school.
The dental check-up should include a professional cleaning and thorough examination of the mouth, teeth, and gums. We see patients of all ages and ensure a relaxing, comfortable office environment tailored to meet the needs of even the youngest children. To encourage a dental check-up, we recommend discussing “counting” of teeth and possibly photos taken of the mouth. It is important to highlight the benefits of a healthy mouth with children and help them feel as comfortable as possible. Rest assured, when they arrive at our office, we will do all we can to make the visit pleasant for your children.
We understand children have unique, individual needs. Children should have their teeth brushed, or brush their teeth, twice a day, and floss daily. Their oral hygiene habits often need to be tailored to their age. We offer the following tips:
- Ages 6 and younger – Children may want to brush their teeth themselves; however, they do not have the fine motor skills to clean the teeth thoroughly as needed. It is important to help children brush and ensure they are reaching the molars they did not have when they were younger.
- Ages 7 to 12 – At this age, children understand how to brush properly but may not want to practice the habit. We recommend encouraging children as much as possible to maintain healthy brushing and flossing habits. When necessary, be prepared to assist with these habits.
- Ages 12-18 – Although dental caries is common among young children, a spike occurs during the teenage and early adulthood years. When teenagers do not have cavities, they may become lax in their oral hygiene habits. It is important to encourage brushing and flossing, regardless of their ages or stages of life.
We know you want the best for your children. To learn more about the gentle care we provide at Sterling Family Dentistry, call our office at (604)-590-9310 to schedule a consultation appointment.